Seo Make your website better
"Think about what makes your website unique, valuable, or engaging. Make sure your website stands out from others in your field."
- from the Google webmaster guidelines
If your users don't think your site is unique, valuable, or engaging then Google won't think it either.
When you take an honest look at your website and compare it to others in your field, can you say yours is better? Why is it better? Can you name a clear and specific reason your website is a better resource than others?
Great websites pleasure their users. They do so by providing better, more useful, and more engaging content. The goal is not just to provide information, it is to provide information uniquely and distinctly in your own way.
If you want your website to rank higher in Google search results you must find a way to have people enjoy your website more. This can be accomplished in several ways.
Improving your website for users
The best way to have your website rank higher is to make it better for your users. Being better requires that your website is one or some of these types of things in comparison to your competitors…
- more useful
- more simple
- more comprehensive
- more funny
- solve problems quicker or more effectively
- more visually stunning
You won't rank high in Google if people do not enjoy your site
Think about why people would want to use your website and then make it even better for them.
In the years I have spent working in SEO the mistake I have seen most often is people who think their website is "done". Since they think it is done, they spend time on things like SEO instead of improving their website. Your website is not "done" until your are ranking where you want to. If you are not ranking as high as you want, your website is not "done".
- Follow the Google webmaster guidelines
- Update the design of your site by getting a new theme.
- Instead of spending an hour a day reading SEO blogs, spend an hour reading blogs that cover your subject. Interact with and observe those blogs and resources. Why do people like them?
- Accept that your website can be better.
- Instead of checking your website statistics, check your own webpages and make sure you have the best information possible for your users.
- Look at just one webpage on your website and figure out how it can be better for your users.
- Consider adding unique or more specific images and graphics.
- Go right now. Leave this page and look at one of your own. We will still be here when you come back.
- Enjoy the process. It is fun and exciting to make webpages you are proud of. It feels good to help your users.
Optimize your website by making it awesome and notable to people.
by Patrick Sexton
Home SEO Make your pages better